history of bingham university

May 1978: OS/360.8 (which was released by IBM in poke prices 1970) installed on the IBM 360/91.
The typical recording density was 10 rows (bytes) per inch.At the time coax-based IBM pcnet and Token Ring PC networks were commonplace networking methods for PCs.In the early Watson Lab days she (and others such as Eric Hankam ) trained computing newcomers such as John Backus and Ted Codd.Simón Bolívar from Venezuela to Colombia.More about Wylbur below.
Feb 1973: The Self-Service Input/Output (ssio) Area ( photo gallery ) is opened on the first floor of the Computer Center building.
I recommend early adoption of the Macintosh by CU; this was done and Columbia became one of the first members of the Apple University Consortium, buying them in bulk and reselling them to students.




1967-68 The Columbia University Bulletin Watson Laboratory lists the courses taught by Watson Lab scientists who have Columbia faculty appointments, including Philip Aisen, Frank Beckman, Thomas Fabry, Richard Garwin, Martin Gutzwiller, Seymour Koenig, Andrew Kotchoubey, Meir Lehman, John Lentz, Allen Lurio, Thomas Moss, Ralph Palmer.But at least the regular GCC development environment remains for the few who still write C code, and emacs for those who still do their text processing the old-fashioned and efficient way rather than the new annoying and labor-intensive way.The 2010 figures come from the Columbia University Statistical Abstract of the Office of Planning and Institutional Research (on the Web).FAQ, the world's most powerful computer at Columbia University's, watson Lab, 612 West 115th Street NYC, 5th floor rear, 1954.The dial program, written by our Systems Group, operated a bing lang Vadic VA821 1200bps autodialer, and interfaced with DEC-20 Kermit to allow file transfer (and was later integrated with Kermit).Stanford University History Exhibits.Harold Jacoby, Chair of the Astronomy Department, in a memo dated 4 December 1909, refers to "Miss Harpham (our chief computer.Compared to 15 in 1965 and over 300 in 2010.The plan was to feed this into one of our DEC-20s and make a BBoard out of it, with a rather rapid expiration of articles given the limited disk storage.
Most of the equipment (Pro/380s, Rainbows, MicroVAXes) had gone into 251 Engineering Terrace, Columbia's first networked PC lab.



To get a good feel for the proliferation of networks and the tricks of navigating amongst them in the days before the Internet swept all else away, see John Quarterman's book, The Matrix : CU20D, our third and final instructional DEC-20, was installed.